Wednesday, January 21, 2009

California keeps on going!








We are in Pismo Beach right now in a really cute little cafe' where I just enjoyed a delicious bagel with tomato's and avocado. Ben is reading some Hunter S. Thompson and I am trying to feel awake. We have spent the last two nights camping in some decent campgrounds. The first was in San Simeon where all of the elephant seals were mating and nursing babies on the beach. That was very cool to see. 

We then went to Cayucos the next morning in search of breakfast and some waves. We found a great little beach where I was able to lay around in the sun while Ben surfed some bigger sets. He then came in and we rented some boogie boards and played around for hours out in the water. Afterwards we needed to hit the road soon but before we did we went to the Schooner Saloon and had a beer. It overlooked the ocean and we had a perfect view of the pier. I was impressed with that little town. Although, it may have been to "sleepy" for me. The pictures at the beginning are of us on highway 1 near Big Sur. The other is of me at the Cayucos pier. We camped last night at Montana des Osos state park. It was a long windy road with exquisite views of blue waters and madrone trees. It could have easily been one of the best parks we have stayed at except for the raccoons. At one point we were eating dinner and heard a rustling in the bushes, then I turned on my head lamp and sure enough there was a raccoon staring straight at us with his mouth and hands in our garbage bag.  He looked at us like a child does when he has been caught. After a few seconds of the show down, he sped off with our trash into his little burglar stash! The whole rest of the night he kept visiting us and taunting us with his fluffy tail and beady robber eyes. Oh well. 


This morning we felt a bit foggy and are now contemplating our next few days. Soon we will be braving the desert and heading east finally. I can't believe this is really happening. I still feel like maybe soon we will have to turn around and go back to Humboldt. Then reality kicks in and Ben and I are meant to do exactly what we are doing. I wouldn't trade these memories with him for anything. I am in love with the life I have been given. Praise the Lord. 



No comments: